Tuesday, September 18

RollerCoaster

Today we were to learn the start date of the stem cell transplant. Instead, we learned that our health insurance (Blue Cross Blue Shield) had declined our procedure! That blow sent us thinking about packing up and leaving Houston for home.

The second half-hour was spent explaining why BCBS declined us and what options we have for fighting the review including hiring a lawyer... like I have years for that! The third half-hour was spent with RoseMarie whose job is solely to fight these decisions. After she understood and had left the room we met with Dr. de Lima who explained how the whole process, including contacting our donors for dates, had come to a halt waiting for approval.

Finally, in the third half-hour, RoseMarie entered the room (now there's five of us) after speaking on the phone with BCBS who gave her a verbal approval! That kicked up the transplant coordinator to contact our donors with some date options.

What a strange way to start a day that ended up with a group hug. Not a day to relive. Dr. de Lima wants to meet twice a week to ensure the process is moving forward. Great idea as I don't want anymore more steps backward!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOD!!! My heart sunk when I started to read your tale about BCBS!! Thank God we are back on the right track!!! I wish I could have been there for the group hug!!! I was there in thoughts!!!
Love Kathy V.

Anonymous said...

Hello my friends--
I am so happy to hear that things are moving forward--that you have been blessed with not just one donor match, but 3---how's that for thinking positive!! Keep your spiritis high & when you return to LV, we will raise our glasses high & have a few too many!!!
Keep your thoughts positive and a smile on your face & your expectations will become reality for both of you.
Love ya both,
Debbie

Anonymous said...

wow what a day I am glad it ended with blessings
keep me upto date at Soulessmage@hotmail.com
all our love and blessings
Roger

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a ride for your emotions that must have been with the insurance co. I'm glad that it worked out the right way. I want to send you to a web site that I just really love. www.simpletruths.com It has free inspirational movies. There are 3 that I am most moved by. First is THE RACE, second is TO A CHILD, LOVE IS SPELLED TIME, and last is THE DASH. Everyone of the movies they offer has great music and scenery that i'm sure you will enjoy. Anyway keep up the fight and know that you and the family are in my prayers. Love & hugs, cousin Gail

Kathy said...

Tuesday was not a day we care to repeat again. And Gail... thanks for the site. I've watched your selections and others as well. JW

Anonymous said...

Hey Jerry - this is your cousin Trina, you know, Aunt Zelma's youngist & most favorite daughter! What a wonderful blog you have set up and what a beautiful family you have!! I was so sorry to hear about all that you are going thru but what wonderful news that they have found a donor. I really missed seeing you guys this year, I've gotten used to those vists & now I am spoiled. Jerry, even though we have only had a few short visits over the years & truly do not know each other well at all it is very easy for me to say that you are one of my very favorite people in the world. I so much enjoy your charisma and love of life. Please know that you and your's have been and are in my prayers. Love you! Trina Jo